Approaching the Arabic Language - Would You Have Known?
Do you know that we owe the words for such beautiful things as "sofa", "coffee" and "sugar" to Arabic? There are several hundred Arabic influences in German. These include terms such as "algebra," "zenith," and "checkmate."
These words alone take us into a fascinating world where so much is thought and said differently, and often more poetically, than we are used to.
Arabic is the fifth-most-spoken language in the world. A few of its main dialects include:
- Syriac, and
Arabic is one of the six official languages of the United Nations and is spoken in over 60 countries worldwide by a total of over 400 million people. Become one of them by starting your own personal Arabic journey with Learn and Speak!
8 inspirations for learning Arabic
Learn Arabic when you...
1. ... want to go on vacation or move to an Arabic-speaking country.
2. ... have Arabic-speaking business partners, whether knowledge of Arabic is indispensable or simply gives you a decisive advantage.
3. ... are fascinated by the artistic style of Arabic writing and want to be able to write beautifully.
4. ... have long loved the delicate poetry of the Arabic language or have a new-found love for it.
5. ... want to speak to over 400 million Arabic speakers around the world - in Marrakech, Giza, Dubai, Berlin or London!
6. ... want to build a bridge between cultures.
7. ... want to use your left brain. It can distinguish details better - indispensable for learning how to read the Arabic script.
8. ... have fallen in love with an Arabic-speaking person.
There are these and many other reasons to learn Arabic. Which one is yours?